These are the outcomes of my 2nd try. See the (2-recipe) weblog put up to see what the plan was.
The spouse has tasked me to provide you with a sandwich bread recipe our household can bake at the least as soon as a weak to fully change our repeatedly bought field retailer sandwich bread.
This put up is for the recipe for my second try to make the right loaf.
- Delicate and light-weight
- 100% complete wheat
- Recipe have to be simply repeatable and simple to execute.
- Recipe have to be designed for a lined pullman loaf pan.
- My 12 yr outdated daughter should be capable of bake the bread from begin to end
- Sourdough leavening solely.
- From begin to end, the bread have to be completable in 1 day.
- Course of should exist to allow the baker to know with affordable certainty that the loaf is completely proofed.
- Dough must include a couple of softened chewy seeds, grain berries, and so forth. for texture and taste.
Abstract of Outcomes
- I solved a number of issues from the earlier bake. The rise time was acceptable. The sourness was excellent (only a trace, sufficiently subtle to allow a slice of the bread for use on a PB&J).
- The 15 minute longer bake did certainly prepare dinner out extra of the moisture and there have been no barely undercooked elements of the dough.
- The hydration stage was excellent! At the least in terms of the texture of the dough. Very very good dough. However, this can be a huge deal, as a result of I believe I’m going to stay with this hydration stage and these ingredient percentages for some time, which implies I can focus extra on the method, which implies much less variables and clearer outcomes.
- The dough was nonetheless extra moist than I need. BUT, the 15 minute improve in bake time made a giant distinction and I really feel fairly assured that one other 15 to half-hour of baking will get me to the place I need to be.
- Because of the increased moisture of the bread, the crumb is simply too fragile for spreading jams and peanut butter, however I believe an extended bake will repair this.
- I barely barely overproofed the loaf this time. How do I do know… there was little or no oven spring however there was zero collapse AND after I scored the dough it ripped proper open. If I had waited any longer, I’m fairly positive the loaf would have collapsed within the oven. The aliquot jar was between 250% and 300% (nearer to 250%) after I lastly loaded the loaf into the oven. I believe for my subsequent bake I’ll be certain that to load the loaf into the oven at 200%.
- The crumb was barely too open this time… I do know why… it was as a result of I formed the dough earlier within the rise. Within the first loaf, I formed the dough late within the rise and the shaping course of pushed down the air pockets within the dough. I’m going to shoot for a 1 hour proof for the following bake, hopefully that can end in a extra closed crumb.
- Dough was troublesome to form… probably not as a result of it was too moist, however as a result of it’s such an extended loaf, that although the dough was lovely and enjoyable to work with, it was laborious to elevate it with 2 palms and get it into the pan. My thought was… whether it is laborious for me, will probably be inconceivable for my Daughter. DanAyo recommended loading the loaf into the pan proper after kneading… I believe I’m going to strive that. In all probability not on the following bake, since I need to spend a number of bakes getting the bake time discovered, however quickly.
The Ultimate Recipe:
- 60g (12%) sourdough starter (50:50 laborious crimson)
- 51g rolled outs
- 31g (6%) honey
- 12g (2percentish) non-iodized salt (By accident added to a lot salt)
- 30g (6%) virgin olive oil
- 475g (95% if you happen to embrace rolled oats) effectively water
- 450g house milled laborious white wheat (sifted to take away bran)
- sifted bran for use as topping
- 9:00a: combined 475g boiling water (all the water), honey, oats, and salt till evenly mixed. let it sit for 10 min to melt the oats.
- 9:10a: combined in olive oil.
- 9:11a: added all flour, used ankersum to combine lengthy sufficient to make shaggy mess.
- 9:21a: smeared 60g of starter excessive of the dough combination, then used ankersum to knead utilizing dough hook for five minutes.
- 9:26a: transferred as a lot dough as attainable to wash bowl and lined. Took 20g of dough and put into aliquot.
- 10:30a, 11:30a: Stretch and fold.
- 4:20p: aliquot doubled. turned dough onto counter a preshaped. Prepped pullman pan, brushed butter on all sides of pan, sprinkled bran flakes on butter.
- 4:30p: Formed loaf into log and put in pan and lined.
- 5:30p: Preheated oven to 375dF
- 6:00p: Aliquot was at 250% to 300%. Brushed high of loaf with melted butter, sprinkled bran flakes on high, and scored. Loaded loaf into oven and baked for 1 hour lined (notice: I’ve misplaced my pullman loaf lid, I used an inverted cookie sheet to get by, the cookie sheet was within the warming oven, so it was already sizzling.)
- 7:00p: Put dough on a rack to chill. Took about 1.5 hours to chill.
- 8:30p: Sliced dough and loved!
A lot improved crumb, form of lacy, however with a closed crumb.
I do not know why I did not take an image of the loaf out of the pan. Right here it’s proper after I pulled the loaf out of the oven.
That is proper earlier than I sprinkled bran on high, scored, and loaded into the oven.
That is the aliquot proper earlier than I loaded the loaf into the oven. The decrease black line is the place the dough was proper after kneading. The higher black line is the place the dough was proper earlier than preshaping.
The dough after shaping and putting in pan. I’m not proud of how I non-uniform my shaping was, it was an actual wrestle getting that 14″ loaf into the pan with out stretching it the fallacious manner.
That is the preshaped dough. Ohhhh, it was luxurious! I do not suppose I’ve ever had 100% WW really feel that manner earlier than. Pretty!