This bake went nicely sufficient, I feel I’m prepared to maneuver onto the following section of perfecting this recipe… taste.
The spouse has tasked me to provide you with a sandwich bread recipe our household can bake at the very least as soon as a weak to fully change our repeatedly bought field retailer sandwich bread.
- Tender and light-weight
- 100% entire wheat
- Recipe should be simply repeatable and simple to execute.
- Recipe should be designed for a lined pullman loaf pan.
- My 12 yr outdated daughter should have the ability to bake the bread from begin to end
- Sourdough leavening solely.
- From begin to end, the bread should be completable in 1 day.
- Course of should exist to allow the baker to know with affordable certainty that the loaf is completely proofed.
- Dough must comprise a number of softened chewy seeds, grain berries, and so on. for texture and taste.
- Do not use bran flakes as a bread topping.
- 1.5 out of 10 on the TexasBakerDad sourness scale, regardless of the heck which means 🙂
Abstract of the Bake
- The loaf’s density was acceptable. I might need been capable of get the loaf barely much less dense. However I feel I’m to the purpose now the place if I attempt to squeeze out higher rise outcomes, it will not be one of the best use of my time.
- The 15 minute bake time discount appeared to be about proper. The crumb was sturdy, the crust colour was proper. I might need been capable of shave off one other quarter-hour, however that may have been chopping it actual shut.
- I used to be pleasantly stunned by how the shaping went… I used to be anxious that the dough would not have sufficient construction and power with no bulk rise for the shaping to do a lot, however my worries had been unfounded. I imply, it was very totally different than shaping after the dough has constructed up some air pockets, however it was nonetheless shapeable and the shaping positively had a optimistic impact on the rise.
- Shaping the dough proper after kneading (skipping bulk ferment), was a bit tough, the dough was fairly a bit extra sticky. I ultimately acquired the grasp of issues and as soon as I had some floor rigidity constructed up, the dough stopped wanting to stay to every thing. My concern now’s… can I train my daughter to drag it off?
- I actually wished to attempt shaping the dough into mini loaves after which load them into the pullman facet by facet, however I TOTALLY FORGOT!
- By accident put flour on either side of my dough in the course of the remaining shaping… this does not appear to have negatively effected the ultimate bake, however I determine I ought to annotate the error in any case.
- I scored the dough. The scoring went high quality, however I used to be stunned by the dearth of spreading of the rating in the course of the oven bloom. You’ll be able to see from the crumb shot, that rating opened up a little bit, however what was bizarre was that the crust to the left and the suitable of the rating rise greater… so, there was positively some oven bloom, however not within the place the place I scored. I do not know what to consider that… did I overproof a bit? Was I too tough with my scoring? possibly too deep? I assume it’s one thing to consider.
What to do subsequent:
- It’s time to begin experimenting with totally different components… cracked wheat, seeds, different flours, milk/butter, and so on. and so on. There are such a lot of route I may take this, so I’m going to create a TFL put up getting some concepts on how I may slender issues down and provides myself some route.
- I will probably be shaping the loaf as 3 or 4 mini-loaves subsequent bake.
The Closing Outcomes
- 60g (12%) sourdough starter (50:50 onerous purple)
- 50g rolled outs
- 30g (6%) honey
- 10g (2%) non-iodized salt
- 30g (6%) virgin olive oil
- 475g (95% should you embody rolled oats) nicely water
- 450g onerous white wheat (sifted to take away bran)
- 9:25a: In giant mixing bowl, add: 475g of boiling water, 50g rolled oats, 30g honey, 10g salt. Combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 9:35a: Combine in 30g olive oil
- 9:36a: With out kneading, combine the 450g of onerous white wheat to mix right into a shaggy mess. Let autolyze for 10 minutes
- 9:46a: Smear 60g starter excessive of the dough mess. Use drum on Ankarsum and knead till dough stops exhibiting enchancment (file time elapsed, about 8 minutes).
- 10:00a: Dump dough onto bench, siphon off 20g for aliquot, then preshape, then wait 15 min.
- 10:05a: Put together pullman pan, liberally butter all sides and apply flour.
- 10:15a: Form dough and cargo into pullman.
- Let dough proof in pullman till aliquot reveals 1.70x rise over unique quantity
- 5:15p: Preheat oven 375dF
- 5:55p: Rating, put lid on pullman and stick in oven for 1 hour 15 min. Bake lined the whole time.
- 8:25p: Pull from oven, switch loaf to rack. Let relaxation till cool, most likely 2.5 hours.
- 10:55p: Slice utilizing slicer then put loaf in plastic bread bag to maintain it comfortable.
Aliquot proper earlier than loading into oven.
Crumb comparability of the final 6 bakes. All have the identical recipe and weight, simply totally different processes. Bake 4, 5, 6, skipped the majority ferment. Bake 1, 2, 3 had a bulk ferment. Out of 4, 5, 6, solely 6 was preshaped and formed.