I saved pondering whereas perfecting and particularly whereas shaping my 100percentWW sandwich loaf recipe, that this dough is so fantastic, I guess it will make a pleasant boule. So, I doubled up on the recipe yesterday and made a pullman loaf and a boule. I saved the blending and every thing separate, however the components and the method up till the kneading was equivalent. When it got here to kneading, I kneaded by hand for the boule and used the Ankarsum for the bread loaf. This weblog submit solely talks concerning the boule, see my earlier weblog submit if you wish to understand how the pullman loaf went.
- The density of the loaf was fairly good. I used to be very proud of the loaf general, with the oven spring, with the look.
- I made an informed guess on bake occasions based mostly on a earlier bake I executed with a romertopf batard. I used to be too busy on the time to place extra thought into it. Anyway, the loaf was darker than I’d have preferred and the underside had burned a bit. Often I used some parchment to assist load the formed boule into the forged iron, however this time I attempted simply rolling it into place. I feel the parchment helps shield the underside from burning only a bit. Anyway, if I do this once more (I feel I’ll as we speak, I’ll use parchment AND cut back my oven temp). Additionally, my recipe consists of some honey, which most likely permits the crust to darken and burn extra simply.
- Once I transferred the boule from the banneton to the forged iron, I rolled it into place, however it’s such a small goal to hit excellent and I by accident missed the mark by 1″, which was annoying. I might actually prefer to cease utilizing a lot parchment, however on the identical time, you set all that effort right into a bake and it actually stinks to mess the bake up on the final step since you aren’t deft sufficient together with your fingers. I feel I’m going to return to my parchment paper crutch. Anyway, my mistake in loaded was barely noticeable in the long run loaf… I imply, you would need to look actually exhausting to see the minor mishapeness of the loaf and the pinch on one aspect of the loaf.
- Trying on the crumb, there tends to be barely greater holes on high than backside. I feel it is a signal that I barely overproofed the dough. I’m going to strive much less proofing for subsequent bake.
I’m loving my aliquot jar, it’s actually serving to me get a really feel for issues higher than earlier than. For the reason that dough within the aliquot has little or no power, however it has the tall sides of the jar to assist it out. I feel I’m beginning to notice that in some methods the aliquot jar dough rises prefer it has power, because of the jar, however in different methods it does not. I THINK my boule really rose in quantity FASTER than the aliquot jar. I feel my boule was most likely at 2.25-2.5x the unique dough quantity once I loaded it into the oven, however the aliquot jar solely confirmed 1.75x. This might be defined by the aliquot dough permitting air to flee through bubbles out the highest of the dough, however the boule letting little or no air escape because of the floor rigidity of the loaf.
- 46g (9ish%) sourdough starter (50:50 exhausting purple)
- 50g rolled outs
- 31g (6ish%) honey
- 10g (2%) non-iodized salt
- 30g (6%) virgin olive oil
- 475g (95% should you embrace rolled oats) effectively water
- 450g exhausting white wheat (sifted to take away bran)
- 9:46a: In massive mixing bowl, add: 475g of boiling water, 50g rolled oats, 30g honey, 10g salt. Combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 9:56a: Combine in 30g olive oil
- 10:00a: With out kneading, combine the 450g of exhausting white wheat to mix right into a shaggy mess. Let autolyze for 10 minutes
- 10:17a: Smear 60g starter excessive of the dough mess. By deal with fold over a number of time till starter is included and a few power develops. About 10 to fifteen stretch and folds. Siphon off 20g into aliquot.
- 11:10a, 12:00p, 1:18p, 2:01p, 3:02p, 3:50p: Stretch and fold about 3 or 4 occasions.
- Hold stretch and folding till aliquot exhibits 1.3x over unique quantity.
- 4:33p: Preshape, let relaxation for quarter-hour
- Prep banneton, sprinkle with finely floor WW flour (I used the flour from the mud filter on the nutrimill, this labored nice, very effective stuff and the dough did not follow the banneton in any respect, that is in distinction to issues I had with regular nutrimill finely floor WW)
- 4:48p: Formed boule and loaded into banneton. Put banneton inside plastic tub and lined to maintain it from drying out throughout proofing.
- 6:30p: Preheat oven to 450dF and put forged iron into oven to heat up.
- 7:52p: Rolled dough from banneton onto forged iron after which lined and loaded into oven, baked at 450dF for 45min lined, and 4 min uncovered (I used to be going to bake for 10 minutes uncovered, however the loaf was getting actually darkish, it was already darkish earlier than pulling the duvet off).
- 8:41p: Pull out of oven and placed on rack to chill for two.5 hours.
- 10:11p: Slice and revel in
That is the aliquot proper earlier than I loaded the loaf into the oven.
That is the aliquot on the finish of bulk and proper earlier than shaping.