Expensive RRHOF (and anybody else who ignored The Go-Go’s),
As soon as upon a time in L.A.’s late-’70s punk scene, a bunch of younger girls discovered one another and determined to do one thing no all-girl group had finished but: write their very own songs and play their very own devices.
Final on that objective record? Grow to be one of many greatest bands of the early-mid 80s.
They did that.
They’re Charlotte Caffey, Belinda Carlisle, Gina Schock, Kathy Valentine and Jane Wiedlin. They’d larger desires than the punk universe would enable. As soon as Charlotte Caffey wrote “We Bought the Beat” in all of 5 minutes she just about sealed their future.
Early on, once they went to England to tour with The Specials and Insanity, the white nationalists (a.okay.a. The Nationwide Entrance) who liked ska music additionally liked to taunt and spit at The Go-Go’s whereas they had been on stage. Numerous rock and rollers have been spat on throughout performances, however few particularly as a result of they had been girls. To make them really feel welcome an onlooker would possibly scream: “Present your tits.”
They saved Go-Go-ing.
Dave Robinson, co-founder of Stiff Data admitted that he didn’t signal them as a result of “…an American punk lady band objecting to being spit at…” wasn’t price signing. However he did put out “We Bought the Beat” as a single and it was successful.
Nonetheless, they couldn’t get a document deal. As a result of “lady bands” didn’t promote information.
Miles Copeland who managed The Police signed them to his impartial label I.R.S. Data and made them the opening act for The Police tour, the place their debut album Magnificence and the Beat surpassed The Police’s Ghost within the Machine on the charts, racing to Quantity One.
After a wild experience via the popular culture stratosphere, blazing trails for future lady teams to return, they broke up in 1985.
We might worship them as Our Girls of the Music Revolution, or, higher maybe, The Patron Saints of Girls in Rock.
We would like them within the Rock & Roll Corridor of Fame.
However don’t induct them for any of that. Least of all for being all girls.
Significantly. Don’t. They’re far more than that.
Right here’s a brief record of why it’s best to:
1. To encourage children who don’t belong to exit and discover different misfits to make music with. Jane Wiedlin admitted that she by no means felt she slot in and tried to kill herself when she was fifteen. Perhaps an natural outlet of hanging with weirdos you possibly can bounce round and make noise with is strictly what America’s youth is lacking proper now.
2. Numerous in the present day’s music is manufactured—and it sucks. It was created on a digital soundboard with a digital mindset with a shallow social-media-minded map for achievement. It’s boring, and a whole lot of it sounds the identical. Arguably not all of it, however we will we make natural artwork a pattern once more, please?
3. When The Go-Go’s first shaped, they needed to play their very own devices, however didn’t know the way. They figured it out and weren’t afraid to suck for some time. Make this Jane Wiedlen quote a mantra for teenagers: “You don’t know what you’re doing, simply fucking do it.” Hell, make it a mantra for everybody.
4. When Charlotte first met Belinda, Belinda was sporting a costume made out of a trash bag, as a result of, expensive tethered youth, there was a time when assertion dressing couldn’t be bought on-line, you needed to do it your self. That’s how true type is born. Extra trash bag clothes, please.
5. As a substitute of gathering their keyboard braveness and leaving nasty messages on L.A. Occasions critic Robert Hilburn’s Fb, they channeled their fuck-the-system rage into music and we want extra of that.
6. People who find themselves spit on are the precise individuals who must hold going—and encourage others to do the identical.
7. Punks are rule-breakers. Extra punk rock, please.
8. The members of the Go-Go’s hadn’t seen anybody like them or anybody who’d achieved the desires they dreamed. Consider what an important world we’d stay in if extra of those sorts of individuals existed.
Induct them as a result of they fucking deserve it.
And yeah, they had been all girls doing one thing unachievable in that approach at the moment.
You don’t really feel the necessity to acknowledge that?
To cite Police drummer Stewart Copeland from the 2020 documentary The Go-Go’s when he came upon they weren’t within the RRHOF: “What the fuck? They’re not?!”
Our sentiments precisely.
So, are you able to get the hell on this? You’re actually freaking behind.