CHICAGO (CBS) — Christmas began in worry for greater than 24 households compelled out of the Palos Hills flats by hearth.
It was heartache and panic for the households. They have been woke up Christmas morning by smoke-filled hallways and the sounds of fireplace alarms.
“Your entire constructing, each unit had smoke crammed in it,” stated Jennifer Huffine.
Huffine stepped outdoors to search out firefighters working to get issues beneath management. She additionally noticed her neighbors freezing, compelled outdoors on the coldest day of the season.
“I bumped into a pair about my age,” she stated. “They’d a turtle of their palms with somewhat wheel. They’d a canine within the different. They grabbed what they may. They didn’t have a lot. They have been going to their automotive. They’d tears of their eyes. I simply began crying for them as a result of I felt so unhealthy.”
In line with the Crimson Cross, 56 folks, together with 12 kids are amongst these displaced by the Christmas Day hearth. Along with serving to households, the company tried to carry somewhat vacation cheer.
“There have been some kids that have been capable of make no less than somewhat happier. We did give out 12 Mickey Mouse Toys,” stated Hank Welch, with the American Crimson Cross.
Whereas this hearth displaced the most individuals, Crimson Cross volunteers have been exceptionally busy this vacation.
“We’ve had eight home or condominium fires, which we responded to as we speak,” stated Hank Welch with the American Crimson Cross.
In Palos Hills, it’s believed the hearth began within the window within the laundry room. The boiler, however the actual trigger stays beneath investigation.