When COVID-19 got here round, it supplied a reminder to salons that buyer and employee security are a precedence.
For Man and Stephanie Coffey, the husband and spouse staff and founders of the nationwide franchise Frenchies Trendy Nail Care, they believed in ultra-clean practices earlier than they had been cool, and now salons nationwide are taking discover.
Champions of Change
It began when Stephanie was a bit woman who went along with her grandma to get her nails finished. By means of the years, when Stephanie went to a salon, she seen that instruments had been used repeatedly with out cleansing and the odor of chemical substances was robust within the air.
She and her husband Man had been trying to find a enterprise alternative that might make a distinction, and Stephanie realized the nail business wanted her. She envisioned a salon that prioritized clear. The primary Frenchies opened in Littleton, Colorado in 2014 and has expanded as a nationwide franchise with salons throughout the nation.
Breaking the Mildew
The Coffeys created a guidelines of every thing they wished to raise concerning the nail salon expertise to make it cleaner and safer for patrons and their technicians.
- Every consumer has a private air flow system at each manicure and pedicure station. Every salon is provided with a cutting-edge ERV or Power Restoration Ventilator to take away stale air and pump in recent air, capturing contaminants within the switch.
- All Frenchies salons use a medical grade autoclave to sterilize metallic implements.
- They opted to have free standing pedicure bowls as a substitute of the jetted type which may lure micro organism. As a result of excessive degree of disinfection, there is no such thing as a want for plastic liners within the bowls to offer sanitary foot care, in order to not create additional waste.
- The Coffeys don’t use acrylic nails or dips that include poisonous chemical substances and fumes.
Emphasis on Workers
The Coffeys be sure they be careful for his or her workers too. Each the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention and the Occupational Security and Well being Administration take into account chemical publicity to be a severe well being threat confronted by nail technicians.
- A research discovered nail techs who labored with synthetic nails had been about thrice as more likely to get bronchial asthma on the job as somebody not within the business.
- Nail technicians are vulnerable to ergonomic hazards that may result in power aches and pains.
- Whereas many nail salons wages have improved, some staff throughout the nation nonetheless expertise wage theft. These nail techs are often paid lower than minimal wage and requested to work additional hours with no time beyond regulation pay.
To repair this, the Coffees launched the protection measures and put in ergonomic pedicure stations. Frenchies additionally presents paid coaching, above-standard wages, and ongoing profession growth in a tradition that emphasizes and rewards staff accomplishment.
A number of workers have gone on to open their very own Frenchies salons. The daddy of 1 salon proprietor whose daughter began out as a nail technician got here to the Coffey’s lately and stated, “Thanks for giving my daughter a profession in an business she loves.”
To be taught extra about Frenches Trendy Nail Care – go to frenchiesnails.com.
For reprint and licensing requests for this text, Click on right here.