Say goodbye to dense, cardboard-like whole wheat bread. This recipe uses some very simple steps to achieve a wholesome whole wheat bread that is 100 percent whole wheat. No additional white flour was added to achieve the soft and fluffy sandwich loaf texture on this bread!
Whole Wheat Bread
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 11 grams/ 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 eggs
- oil for greasing hands
- Dissolve brown sugar in water then add yeast and leave to bloom for 5 to 8 minutes
- Add flour and salt to a food processor then pulse to combine
- Add wet ingredients to food processor then pulse until combined
- Put food processor on low speed for 30 to 45 seconds until dough starts to pull together on blade
- Transfer dough on to work surface. Grease palms with oil then bring dough together until a smooth ball is formed
- Place dough in a greased bowl then cover and allow to proof for 1 hour
- Transfer dough to work surface then flatten into a rectangle.
- Roll and tuck dough until a log is formed.
- Shape into a loaf then place in a greased or non stick loaf pan. Cover then allow to proof for 45 minutes
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes
- Transfer bread to a cooling rack then brush the top with melted butter.
- Allow to cool for 8 to 10 minutes